6.19.2010

I'm Back!

St. Louis was amazing! I enjoyed everything!

We stayed at New City Fellowship Church, in a dorm on 82nd street. It was older, we had to climb 4 flights of stairs about 7-8 times a day, sometimes even more! My room slept 6 people, there were only 5 of us. We got there on Saturday around 8pm. We had debriefing, and meetings until about 10:30; i took a shower after that. We got our rooms settled and we slept until 8 the next morning. We had church at 8:30 on Sunday morning. The service was pretty boring considering we were so tired! The choir sang gospel music and Swahili songs. Then we had more meetings after that. Then we ate lunch with a host family, they provided salmon, sour dough bread, salad, and ice cream! Afterwards, we had yet another meeting. this time about our tutoring. We would tutor a child from Monday-Thursday. Then we had dinner, and after that we started our back yard bible clubs! We went door to door to get the word around. We came back, took showers and had debriefing. Then we went to bed.

Monday-Thursday, we woke up. We had breakfast at 7:15am, went upstairs at 8 and had devotions. Around 9, devotions was over. We had the tutoring from around 9:10-12 . My tutoree was Jaylen. He is adorable!

He is 5 years old. I miss him soooo much!











After tutoring we had lunch upstairs, then we split up into groups for our work projects. On Monday, I stayed at the tutoring program. Tuesday, I went to work along the side of a main road, cleaning it up and making it safer. We did that for 2.5 hours in the pouring rain, hail, thunder and lightening! Not safe! Wednesday, I did the same thing, except it was in the blazing hot sun, lovely 95 degrees! A homeless man came up, picked up some gloves and got to work right with us! We bought him lunch afterwards. Thursday, I helped build a wooden fence for a woman named, Ms. Flora. She has 15 kids and 50 grandkids! WOW!!!

On Wednesday, that was the last day of backyard bible clubs. I just so happened to get a mosquito bite on my leg and I used the top of my tennis shoe to itch it. Little did I know, I was rubbing the top layer of skin off! It hurt for awhile, but on Friday, it got infected!

Thursday was the last day of tutoring. I had to say goodbye to Jaylen! I cried...quite embarrassing on my part. Considering I rarely cry in front of people. Mr. Dan had all the tutors in a circle while the kids went to the bathroom. He said Jaylen had cried for a good hour and a half and when he told me that, I broke down!

Friday was our free day. We woke up at 8, had breakfast. met outside the dorms and left for the arch. After the arch, we walked to get lunch. I had subway. Then we split into groups for the city museum and shopping. I went to the museum. I got my leg bandaged, because it got infected. I had to limp around it hurt so bad!
Then we went to a Cardinal's game. They won 6-4!! It was a good game! I almost lost my camera though!

Well, I'm tired and sore! I'm going to get off and post again sometime next week!

~m

No comments: